Thursday 2 April 2009

Day twelve - slowing down cos it hurts honest - 14k

Don’t remember much about the day, boring walk compared to some, mainly because I was in a lot of pain and had to stop in Viloria de Rioja.




























Great welcome, drop your stuff and have a shower then we’ll book you in, none of this over efficient grumpy staff these people lived here and shared their own home with the Pilgrims. Acquainted myself with the showers then checked in, bit annoyed that I get a sticker instead of a stamp in my passport, seems a bit daft when everyone else stamps it.


















The evening meal is the kind of thing that makes me nervous but I really enjoyed it. Not knowing what I’m going to be served or whether I’ll like it, don’t want to be rude and leave things or be fussy. The Camino makes me so hungry that any old habits are rapidly dying hard, anything put in front of me is worth trying if not finishing whether it’s nice or not. The lentils were really filling and lovely but I probably should have been careful how much Tabasco to add, doing what other people do to be polite has its drawbacks…

Conversation with the Irish gentleman that leads nowhere except to him hearing his own voice and having to be right. Starting to get an instinct about the kind of people that I won’t be spending time with and will avoid at all costs if possible from now on. Being asked for my reasons for doing the Camino was a shock, Pilgrims on the whole didn’t discuss it but it made for interesting after dinner talk with Acacio and Orietta and getting into spirituality, deeper meanings to events and the fact that whatever your reason for undertaking the Camino, it doesn’t matter because it will affect everyone in the same way if they want it to and they let it, even if that isn’t why they came.

Next time day 13 - Sunbathing, Missing Persons, whole chicken dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment