Friday 3 April 2009

Day 13 - Sunbathing, Missing Persons and Chemist advice service - 8k

I’d been walking too far, getting very little sleep and not giving my body the chance to rest
because I was constantly wandering round sightseeing, shopping but most of all getting caught up in the Spanish way of life.













After a very restful night in Viloria I was only able to make it to Belorado eight kilometres away before I decided to call it a day because everything hurt again. My shin was beset by shooting pains and the tendons at the backs of my lower legs were swollen, my knee was agony for the first few hours and after any kind of break longer than five minutes, my hips were alternately aching and my shoulders were totally knotted as was my neck. My other knee was now starting to hurt too because it was taking the brunt from me favouring the left one.

Wandered round the town looking for a bar with something nice to eat on the counter. Settle for the last one I find after seeing that horrible Irish man, he’s upset I didn’t say goodbye this morning. I’m wondering whether I should have gone out of my way to spend another 30 minutes after everyone else had gone to bed last night fixing the computer so that he could access his emails, and today he’s ignored the yellow arrows and now wants directions and can't ask so I ask someone for him, off he goes and I wonder if he’ll learn anything from his trip.

I walk back into the Square and oh my word there’s Harry and Steffy from Puente la Reina the two Germans that I had spent the past few days seeing everywhere on and off the trail, including the communal dinner and Mass in Estella. Sat around for a while having a drink with them then ask casually if they’ve seen Astrid or anyone else around, yes she’s behind the church on a bench over the river. I finish up and walk back to my accommodation in that direction, no sign of Astrid and Inna. I could get my stuff and go to where they’re staying tonight like Harry and Steffy suggested as I haven’t paid yet, I just left my kit in the room and popped into town to find an ATM. By the time I walk back out to the Hotel, yes I’ve stayed a good five minutes walk away from the centre again, I’m too tired to upsticks. This will be my rest day and then I can start building up the kilometres again and catch them all up, they’re only three k’s ahead.

Took a trip round the town and found a chemist for suntan cream, my hands are getting older whilst I watch and my ears look like bits of crispy bacon.


Giant Tap. I've no idea either...


A pilgrim from a Scandinavian country, Norway I think this time, starts a conversation with me about Compeed whilst the frustrated Chemist decides to leave us to it. I have to explain that you’re supposed to leave them on until they come off naturally as they grow into the skin after he tells me that he removed one after a day, ripping the new skin and leaving him in agony. He’s grateful and I’m wincing as I leave to go back to my hotel. The square is buzzing, full of people congregating for a chat with their friends so I pop into the Museum. It’s a bit sparse but has a great map of the Camino in this region.

There were three types of Pilgrim room to choose from at my Hotel. Twenty four beds in a room in the Albergue area, Ten beds to a room, ten beds to a room with sheets on the bunks. I chose the latter although accidentally or she tricked me but although it cost me four more Euros than I’d planned, this meant I got a room to myself and proper bedlinen, plus nine other bunks to choose from if this bed wasn’t quite right for Goldielocks.







Any excuse you know me... ;)









Dinner was standard fayre, the Mixed Salad becoming a staple of my evening diet along with cured ham & cheese baguettes as my breakfast and lunch. The outstanding feature of this ‘Pilgrim Menu’ being the option of roast chicken and chips. I haven’t seen a chip since I left England or a baked potato for that matter. I thought the menu item “Whole Roast Chicken” was just another mistranslation but when it arrived, it actually was a small whole chicken on me plate. I ate every last bit of that tiny chicken, knowing full well that it was probably not the sort of thing you could get for animal welfare reasons in the U.K. But it was the tastiest chicken I’ve ever had…

No comments:

Post a Comment