Thursday 9 April 2009

Day 19 - Carrion de los Condes - 19k

Jong Hee Lee and Me first thing in the morning before setting off...






No sign of Cathy last night so I’m guessing she may not get to use that voucher unless she catches up soon.

























Sunny days inside a beautiful church for a rest





















Stopping for a break in a place with a big church and a fellow pilgrim





The trail is very exposed and hugely windy today leading to Carrion and as I wander along I come across a carrier bag with some bread in it. The half a loaf inside looks fine so I stow it away in my bag, bonus. The Albergue that I find has got everything is cheap too and situated in the middle of town for once yay! I wander around and run into Jess, Otmar, Herman and Jong Hee Lee whilst checking out the other accommodations to distribute the healing waters of San Bol, it’s getting a bit of a chore carrying it around so I leave it with Jess. Cathy has arrived so we make plans to see the procession through town later on, I own up to being the writer of the Foot Rub Voucher, mainly because I can’t wait to ask if she found it on the Camino. Apparently lots of Pilgrims spotted it as Cathy was a bit of a celebrity by the time she made it to Boadilla del Camino yesterday.
It turns out that it was Jess’s bread that I found on the trail the day before, her packet soups blew away too far to be retrieved...I don’t think she tied her food to the outside of her pack after that.
Cathy and the Spanish lads and I go to dinner then Jess and I walk up into town to see the procession, everywhere people are eating sunflower seeds, they seem like a lot of hassle for not much reward to me, especially in San Juan de Ortega when I’d gotten a packet of mixed nuts from the vending machine, stuck a handful in my mouth and then realised that some of them were still in their shells. The monkey nuts should have given me a clue. The streets are lined with people expectantly waiting. It isn’t as professional as Burgos, the band is more out of tune but it’s still amazingly moving, there’s loads of little kids wearing Dracula capes too, weird. It stops fequently for the guys carrying the floats to have a rest, young helpers placing the equivalent of large table legs under the corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment